Wednesday, October 21

Lesson Time!

Well it's time for a full account of what happened yesterday at my lesson with Gretchen!!!
Gretchen is so nice, she really helped me realize that my savvy needed to be taken to the next level past all the stiffness and exageration of Level 2/beginning Level 3 and taking it to the real refinement stages.
We went to go get Felix, who is an andalusion/arab cross, has been raised with Parelli by a Level 3 student, is pretty young (3 or 4) and is so playful (mild LBE). He came cantering to the gate when we went to bring him in.



Here's what I learned from Gretchen Arndt and Felix:
The italics mean it was something that really stuck out to me.


~STICK TO ME
When we first played stick to me, I was trotting/walking/backing up before he was and not using my energy to cause him to go. But Gretchen said to use your energy to cause him to go first, then follow. Do it in your body, before you do phase 1. Like eyes, belly button, leg, rein for riding, it’s the same with on the ground. Eyes, belly button (focus), leg, rope, stick. Do phases before phase 1.



~SEVEN GAMES WITH OBSTACLE
Be particular and if he doesn’t do the task, then at least get his brain. Do from at least 15-20 feet away and increase distance. Subtle communication and do it in your body, to cause him to do it in his.



~WEAVE
Belly of the rope on the ground. Use your ribs like you were riding a snaky bend to have him mirror you. It’s all about zone 1 too. If zone 1 doesn’t go around the cone, then his feet won’t.




~CIRCLING GAME
I learned so much about the circling game. Use phases for what gait you want him to leave at. Also, use the mirror-me technique that was for stick to me too = the eyes, belly button, leg, rope, stick, phases. Also, she pointed out that instead of the Level 2 loooooooooong phase one (which you do, it’s just really subtle) after 2 seconds with your finger pointing, you use the stick. Because they do know what you’re asking. Then for change of direction You wait until they pass your belly button and instead of running backwards, it’s a lean. You lean back and to prepare for a change of direction, you bring them all the way in. Then after a few times, as soon as they give you two eyes, then you show them where to go. She also said to think of it as a conversation. It’s a partnership but he should be doing more than you or not making you work harder than him.

-------------------------------------------------------
I really, really needed this lesson. Eddie and I were just doing the task, and I knew and I felt like our quality just wasn't there. So now we're really going to play with our quality and how small of a phase can I use.



I'll post later today too!

~Lea & Eddie~
Partners Forver

2 comments:

Jordyn Daniels said...

Sounds like fun! I learned a lot from just reading your post! Woo Hoo Lea!

~Lauren

Lea and Eddie said...

=-D That's awesome!
Thanks! I can't wait to see the difference when I play with Eddie with my new savvy for a week straight.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...