Saturday, November 22

A Huge Turn in the Relationship

Lately our play sessions have been amazing. We've been playing in all the savvies and he's just doing so well. Well I've probably talked about this a million times, but here's the story again...
I read Shy Boy, awesome book. It is so inspiring to hear how a wild horse chooses to be with a human except a herd. Something that really stood out to me was this one statement. Monty Roberts asks this to his students, "If you say a horse loves to jump I won't believe you until you turn the horse out in the pasture and there is a course of jumps set up and the horse goes around and jumps them on his own accord. If he does I'll believe you, if he doesn't he doesn't love to jump." Something to that effect. Reading that and Jerry Williams' article in the Savvy Times Learning to put the Relationship First really helped me. What I got out of them was that if I feel ignored, not asked my opinion, or bossed around, that's exactly how Eddie feels when I do it to him. We're both LBI, and I just now got that! Duh!
So our play sessions have been so light. Some of the highlights were riding without touching the reins (only a few times) while following the rail and doing transitions, another was playing all 7 games at liberty with an obstacle, and it's just amazing!
So our future is: work on leading from zone 5 online, winning the games at liberty, riding bridle-less freestyle, and getting the confidence snaffle (maybe whole bridle or C3 bit) so we can work on finesse.
~SIGH~ Thanks God for getting me so far. I couldn't do it without you.

Faithfully,
Lea & Eddie

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...